Friday, August 2, 2013

Bollywood Dance Performance - Dancing the Bolly-style

I took a Bollywood dance performance class last fall at Born2Dance Studios here in Northern VA and least to say it was an ama-Zing experience (gotta have zing in my life people :)) By the end of the eight week sessions, our group was scheduled to participate in a Winter Performance Gala organized by the dance studio management.

We performed on a medley of a couple foot-tapping numbers - Second Hand Jawani and Jhallah Wallah. This was my second time performing on a stage as grown up:) First time it was during my Master's program for the Annual Diwali program conducted by the Indian Student Organization at my university. Needless to say, it's always fun to perform on Bollywood songs - especially group performances! The dance studio fees were quite reasonable and they arranged for the costume, music and other arrangements for the performance. The tickets were economically priced at 25$ and our instructor was from the revered Bolly-dance academy 'Doonya'.

Doonya is based in both DC and NY and specializes in Bolly-fitness class. It's basically Zumba but with desi dhink-chak songs. How cool is that! When I know the song, I try to dance with more energy and passion "Pair apne aap thirakne lagte hai" (English translation - My feet start to tap on their own)

So long story short, today I want to share the beautiful memories from my Bollywood performance. Thank you Doonya and Born2Dance Studio for this invigorating dance experience!

Check out the dance video right here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6M7RQYgV0 ( I am the one on the extreme left)

Me in my Bollywood-meets-Arabic costume
 


6 comments:

TaNuja said...

Are wah.. looking so radiant and gorgeous.

:-)

ThefashionFlite said...

wow, must be real fun ! I was a part of a dance group too who used to perform on stage ..i miss this zing in my life :(
✿thefashionflite
✿twitter
✿Bloglovin
✿FaceBook

Rupa said...

sahi hai :)

Jenny’s Bicycle-Indian Fashion Blog!!

Aditi SoSaree said...

You are super talented girl..way to go..!

Aditi
So-Saree
www.sosaree.blogspot.in
New Post Up

Asta said...

you were good. That looked fun. :-)

Asta
Cactus and Cucumber

Unknown said...

Awww, you look so cute! I always enjoy performing, it's such an exhilarating experience! And as you, Shruti and I are hugely involved with Doonya -- so much fun! :)

Richa
www.urbanmantra.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...