Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)


Recently, I read this book, which is actually quite talked about in the social circles these days. The book is actually good, very candidly written and is absolutely funny read. It's a straight insight to her life, from a chubby kid/ teenager to a struggling actor/ nanny/ assistant to a very successful comedian writer/ actor in hit TV series. I am sucker for real life success stories, and this one fits the bill. 

She's like the everyday girl; her habits, stories, are so relateable. Mindy has made lot of references to her early days in New England, especially the areas where I have lived like my first five years in the US (which really connected well with me). Her days in NYC are one adventure to read esp the part where shes babysitting a couple of girls. She totally reaffirms my belief that Life in NYC is ALWAYS HAPPENING!

The best part of the book for me was her career as one of the writers for The Office. I am a huge fan of all the characters - Michael Scott (played by Steve Carrell) at the top - and she dishes out the behind-the-scenes stories, especially her frenemy Dwight aka Rainn Wilson and her buddies B. J. Novak, Angela and Pam. I got so nostalgic after finishing the book that I got back to watching The Office till the very last episode (I had 2-3 seasons still left from the pack). I was short of being teary-eyed when Michael Scott left, Jim and Pam lovey bits and the very last episode. I am not sure if it will be as entertaining to read the book if you haven't watched The Office. Well, Ms. Kaling does reaffirm the theory that you gotta be yourself to make it.

Moving to the Outfit of the Day, I wore this look to a Stella and Dot Trunk show hosted by fellow DC fashion blogger Karen in honor of the Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Blazers for fall, now that's a no-brainer, ain't it?


 MANGO Blazer, last seen here (similar) | LOFT Striped Top (similar, similar) | Express Skinny Denims
| Statement necklace from Groopdealz | Payless Cognac-colored Pumps |





6 comments:

Andi said...

I'm not generally a big fan of memoirs, but I loved Mindy's book. She just seems like such a nice and funny person!

In the Blue said...

Yay for coral and turquoise together. The color looks very nice on you!

Anonymous said...

You look lovely Ashy! I am yet to read the book but will pick it up soon. That necklace is beautiful! You have an eye for the most fabulous jewelry.

Have a great day.
~
Seepz
That Sassy Girl

Rupa said...

Loving that coat...And you made me want to read this book now..

Jenny’s Bicycle-Indian Fashion Blog!!

Anupriya DG said...

I LOVE this blazer of yours!! <3
And isn't it wonderful how amazingly we can play around with colors along with anything monochrome? Love how you paired your stripes with the coral & blue!!! :)

Unknown said...

Love this look Ashwini. Very fall-ish and put together. I actually read the sample of the book and it was good. Definitely a easy and fun read.

Asta
Cactus and Cucumber

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...