Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY Art Project - How to Make a Diwali Lantern (Akaash Kandil)

So we met some of our friends for drinks and dinner last Friday night, and during the conversation, my friend totally inspired me to making a Diwali paper-lantern (akash kandil in Hindi). Well, I did have some free time on my hand this Diwali (which has happened after quite a few years!) I thought, why not give this a try. I mean it sounded like it's pretty easy; something that doesn't take more than a day....which really clicked with me. I am quite impatient by nature so if something's not coming together (pretty!) quickly, I give it up altogether. Well, lucky for the lantern it got built in a day, thanks to all the step by step instructions here, especially the ones with the dimensions (they are super important I tell you!).

Well, the dork that I am, I missed the step where one is supposed to fold the cylinder only after taping all the cones and decorations. And in my excitement, I cut the cardpaper and folded it right away. Well, decorating the lantern was rather awkward but nonetheless manageable.Other than that, no major issues. Ok, maybe only one 'cause of the stupid glue. The freaking thing wouldn't stick the thick card-paper ends together; so I had to hunt down the stick tape for my rescue. 

I skipped the the serrated edges for the squares, and instead of the flowers (on the folded ends of the card-paper), I used dainty diyas (that I accidentally created) which look kinda-perfect now. Some sparkling stickers later, the lantern was ready to be lit, in all it's glory!
You can go in for any bright color combination; since neon has been so in this past season, I decided to go for neonish orange hue and then nothing screams festive like red, right?

I took some pics on the way to building it, which I was hoping to upload if this project saw the light of the day (which it did and I feel good now....*blushes*)


It's as easy as it looks in these pics so are you gonna give it a try this Diwali!

16 comments:

Kalyani said...

This is such a timely, perfect and easy DIY..Thanks Ashy for the step by step pics! My daughter is going to absolutely insist that we undertake this project now:-))
Happy Diwali!
xx
K
klassytylefiles.blogspot.com.au

Unknown said...

beautiful, no matter how much money one spend on buying things for house. Pleasure of making things on own always stand out.

vaidehi said...

Happy Diwali !!!

Myriad Musings said...

Very creative and beautiful result.

Saumya
http://www.myriadmusings.net/

Rupa said...

wow wow wow! yes, one wow is not enough! Absolutely brilliant! You are so talented1 Love this lantern1

Jenny’s Bicycle-Indian Fashion Blog!!

Maneet Jassal Gupta said...

This is just wow! :) Wish I was more 'art-sy' and motivated!

Chandana said...

It is so pretty! I've been on a mad hunt for good DIYs this diwali.. Love this idea!

Sonshu said...

I love this post. I am so going to go try this right now. And it looks so pretty. Eeeee, i’m excited.

x
Sonshu
www.thesonshu.com

Unknown said...

artistic easy and eye catchy

Unknown said...

It's a superb idea and u know what I have made it like the one u made

Unknown said...

Wow... very creative... m gonna try dis out for sure..:)

Unknown said...

Where can we get this card paper easily and what is the material used for making the frills?

Anonymous said...

wow wow wow.......awsm really its awsm!!!! i just luved it nd thanx for the pics it's soooooo easy!!!!!!.........,.....just soo easy nd so beautiful..........thanxxxxx.........................!!!!

Nishtha said...

True

Snehal Patil said...

Thank you for wonderful project ....

Unknown said...

Nice and simple, but where are the measurements.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...